Morphic - Open Thread alate.
Jones the Heliolisk (Sand Veil Ability) -> Flygon (Levitate Ability).
Rogue.
Affected RPers: N/A.
Ground Stone attuned.

She wakes up in the middle of a sandstorm. 

Jones has been quite busy as of late. After meeting that Kira fellow, she abandoned her previous oasis territory. No sense returning to a place where a former and possibly future adversary can possibly find her while she's off her guard, after all. And there are other oases. The others she's found are small - too small to sustain her for long - but for today, she's nested down beside a nice, sizeable pool and had a delicious dinner of apicot berries. She's ready to lay down for a nice stretch of rest and digestion in the sun's beautifully blistering heat.

But the sound of rumbling and the whipping winds against her skin wake her up. She reacts immediately - skittering away from the water's edge, closing her nictitating membranes to shield her eyes, running in the same direction as the wind as she seeks a high dune to shelter on. A natural sandstorm like this could throw nearly anything at her, but it'll be easier to weather on a hilltop. She runs, as fast as she can, trying to find somewhere stable and safe to shelter.

As she runs, she catches sight of one of her feet. It's... big. Too big. Beige and gold like the desert sands, unlike her usual black toes. The claws are larger, too, curled like a raptor's. She can't feel her frill anymore, but she has antennae again. And what's weirdest - there are new muscles, new limbs, on her back. She has wings.

Is this just going to be how things happen from now on? The growl that rumbles in Jones's overlong throat is abnormally deep. At least this strange shapeshifting can be useful. If she can get through the winds, she can fly above the sandstorm and pass it by. So she leaps into the air - carried far farther than she thought she would be - and spreads her wings to glide as she catapults herself above the storm's edge and into sight of the desert sunset.
Post #1

Hanün the Bisharp (bulky shoulder armour, faded red carapace)
Ability: Defiant
Affiliation: None
Affected RPers: @VeloJello

~~~~~

Sand is everywhere. It dances through the air, obscuring my vision completely - even though this accursed helmet does a good job of that already. That said, I must admit, the hardened carapace protecting my new body does a good job of warding off the sand.

I left that mess at the beach behind, although with every step, my memory of exactly what happened seems to fade. Whether that has something to do with this mysterious island, or is specific to me personally, I do not know. In any case, my focus needs to be on making my way through this storm, not pondering the strangeness of the isle.

Having seen a few of the beasts that are present here, I cannot help but rue the specific form that has been inflicted upon me. I have seen a gigantic lizard, a levitating fox and a lithe cougar. Why had I been stuck with a humanoid body encased in uncomfortable steel? Yet another injustice to be corrected.

My stomach rumbles, and it occurs to me that I have not eaten for an uncomfortably long period. Hopefully I can find my way to sanctuary without encountering another monster - I might not have to strength to fight if I cross the path of one on the hunt, especially if it is used to these blasted sandstorms. My only form of defense seems to be the blades on my wrists and around my midsection, and it is likely that any creatures who have adapted to live in these conditions will have incredibly tough hides.

I stumble on, hoping to find somewhere I can rest.
My Pokemon Stats

WinterVines Today at 1:37 PM
it doesn't fit my style as well as like mence does
? Chandra Nalaar ? | Ash K. Today at 1:38 PM
It's not fast and doesn't get U-turn
Rogue.
Affected RPers: N/A.
Ground Stone attuned.

The birds make it look so easy, soaring around without a care in the world. Carrion-chasers trace their graceful, ominous circles for hours without pausing. Raptors swoop from the sky and back into the air without pausing a single second as they seize their prey. Even the night birds have it under control, silent as the grave but for their haunting calls. 

Jones is not a bird.

While her body is surprisingly light despite her increased size, her bulky wings are hard to control, and the whipping winds of wildly varied temperatures just make it so much worse. The fanlike fins on her tail seem to be built to stabilize her flight, but all they're really doing is distracting her by whipping around like haphazard ribbons. And all of that leaves out the psychological trouble of being gods-know-how-high above an earth she's usually very comfortable standing on.

Still, she manages to weather the weather, eking out an unstable but sustained flight above the clouds of sand until she spies the glint of metal below her. She remembers the familiar feel in her hand - a heavy haft, a brutal blade, a point driven down with both hands, teeth gritted, I'm sorry - and that loss of concentration is enough to throw her back earthward.

She tries to catch herself, but by the time she manages to open her wings again, she's in the thick of the sandstorm once more. There's no space in her mind to be relieved that her scales are sturdy enough to keep the sand grains from cutting her - all she can think about is the deadly free-fall she finds herself in. With her limbs splayed awkwardly, her descent slows, and she sees the ground through the whirling sand - 

Wham! The heavy impact sends sand flying in every direction. Jones groans, struggling to pull herself back to her feet, but she's still dazed. Through bleary eyes, she can make out the sight of a bipedal Pokemon clad entirely in metal. "Szzz... stay back," she manages to growl, raising her head and curling her lip.
Post #2

~~~~~

It occurs to me as I stumble onwards that a sandstorm is almost uniquely limiting on all of one's senses. Reduction in visibility, obvious. Keeping one's mouth and nose protected is of paramount importance, so no smell or taste. There is nothing to be felt bar the stinging sensations caused by millions of tiny whips, and the howling din blocks out almost all other sounds.

That said, even in the middle of a raging sandstorm, it would be hard to miss a bug-dragon hybrid crashing into the ground mere feet away. The whipping motes obscured details but I could make out a sinuous body and large, angular wings. The creature raises its head and bears its teeth at me - clearly a warning not to approach.

I am no fool. I take warnings from creatures that look like they could lift me into the air and drop me from thousands of feet up.

That said, it looks to be in distress. This raises a number of interesting possibilities - perhaps it could be befriended, or even trained. Worst-case scenario, if it turns out to be wilful, I could probably fashion any number of useful implements out of its carcass.

I make a show of extending my wrist-blades and then sheathing them, taking a quick moment to enjoy the unique feeling of having built-in weaponry as I do so. Then I drop to one knee, intentionally limiting my mobility to demonstrate to the beast that I am not a threat - this has the secondary outcome of obscuring the aggressive-looking metal spines on my chest armour.

"Not safe!" I yell, hoping to broach the cacophony of sound around us, hoping to assuage the creature's nerves moreso than anything else. "Must get out! Are you hurt?"
My Pokemon Stats

Rogue.
Affected RPers: ChainReaction (Hanün).
Ground Stone attuned.

Jones's bluff seems to do the trick, thankfully - the steely creature doesn't run, but they don't - he doesn't? - come any closer. At first, Jones is worried that he's readying some elemental attack like Jones has seen from others on the island, but instead, the blades on the creature's forearm jut out farther for a few seconds before sinking back into the wrist and disappearing. When the stranger kneels, Jones blinks - not to clear the sand away from her eyes, but in pure surprise. This guy... is he nice?

Whatever the case, he certainly understands the danger involved in a sandstorm. While Jones isn't quite as cut up as she'd expect to be - she now notices the way the knife-sharp grains of sand glance off her scales, and the way what seems to be a perpetual nictitating membrane over her eyes is shielding her vision - breathing in the hot, sandy air is never going to be good for anyone.

She shakes her head at his question. Her side is scraped, her side bruised, but she's pretty sure the injuries aren't serious. There's not the deep ache of injured ribs, at the least. When she rises, it's slow and cautious, tempered by pain and the unfamiliarity of her new body. She knows she has to be careful - down here in the winds of the dust storm, opening her wings could send her careening off along the dunes, carried by the turbulent gusts rather than her own two feet. So she pulls herself up starting with her forelegs, hugging her body with her wings and keeping her fanned tail as low as possible.

"Yeah, not safe," she arches her back up for a better vantage point, her long neck providing her with a good view of the area. "I think I see a rock over there," She nods in the general direction. "Or maybe a dune? High ground's better than low ground. We should - hrrk!"

Her scraped, bruised side twinges with pain and her arm gives way. Must've landed on it wrong. Some tendon or joint or other is definitely not doing what it's meant to. It seems that this heavy body doesn't take falls as well as she'd hoped. She snarls again, this time in frustration rather than warning. "On second thought, I think I'm plenty comfortable here." Another lie, but what's this guy gonna care? Hopefully he'll be too busy making a beeline for the elevated land to notice Jones crawling her way there.
Post #3

~~~~~

The dragon-beast pulls itself up off the sand while taking care to keep its overall profile low. Something about its movements - a slight jerkiness, some shudders here and there - tell me that it is most likely wounded in some fashion. Even if only stunned temporarily by the impact from before.

I receive a shock when the beast's sinuous neck points its head in my direction, and a voice emanates from within the creature's chest. My teeth immediately go on edge - this is obviously another one of those monsters who can change their shapes and have all matter of unearthly abilities.

Very much like myself, now. I suppose.

It's hard to hear the creature clearly, but a combination of words and a jerk of its head indicate a direction. Hopefully one of safety, although I have no way to be sure. I decide that the best course of action is to follow the beast's directions - at worst, if it is leading me into a trap of some kind, it'll surely avoid attacking me until we are in some more favourable conditions.

I start walking again, fighting hard to take every step. It feels like I might be going up a slight inclination, but it is hard to tell for sure. I cast a quick gaze around to see where dragon-creature is, and I can just barely make out its large form through the whirling dust motes behind me. If the creature's fate is to die here, so be it - I may return at some point to harvest its carcass.
My Pokemon Stats

Jones the Flygon (Levitate Ability).
Rogue.
Affected RPers: ChainReaction (Hanün).
Ground Stone attuned.

Is Jones imagining things, or did just speaking startle this weird metal monster? Maybe they're just flinching out of sympathy as Jones's pain shows through - she's seen that reflex plenty of times, even with foes who should have nothing but antipathy toward one another.

Thankfully, the creature doesn't kick up a fuss, instead following Jones's instructions as they make for the elevated ground. The storm shows no sign of abating, so all the better for them to be headed to safety. Jones forces herself to follow - slowly, slowly, not daring to put pressure on her injured side. She grits her teeth as she makes her way to her feet. She's suffered worse pains than this, and while she isn't being cut up by the whipping sands, she certainly doesn't want to be breathing rocks.

She's surprised at how good her vision is in this form. While she can't see much farther or in particularly greater detail than normal, she can pick out objects in the sandstorm much more easily than should be possible. It's like the odd extra eyelid her normal form has is protecting her, only she doesn't have to think about it. Some sort of extra lens is covering her eyes. She wishes she had half a clue what it was, but she isn't about to gripe about gifts.

Thanks to this protection, she's able to see the shape of the object as she grows closer. It's definitely a rock, not a hill, which puts a strained smile on Jones's face. Where there's a rock, there's shelter from the wind.

She can also see the steel creature's slow steps - they're barely trudging on quicker than she is - and the way they shoot a glance toward her. "I'm comin'," she raises her voice to be heard above the storm. "Rock up ahead. Good shelter." She doesn't want to waste her words - she needs the air for the stamina, and at any rate, opening her mouth just ends in it getting filled with sand. It's going to take ages for the random sand grain crunches to stop, she grumbles internally.
Post #4

~~~~~

As I stumble through the sandstorm, my mind continues to race. The dragon-beast is clearly intelligent and capable of speech, just like the dinosaur-fox-thing on the beach. It was entirely possible that these morphing creatures were the apex form of life on this island, with nobody to challenge them for dominance.

Well, I suppose I must include myself in their party now. I am unable to entirely recall what I looked like before, but I know it was not... this.

I am so lost in my thoughts that I nearly stumble head-first into a large rock. It seems to be large enough to provide cover for both myself and the dragon, although only from a single direction; still, this is better than nothing. I drop to my knees and start digging a small hole at the base of the rock, hoping to create a hollow in which to shelter from the raging winds. I do not know how the dragon intends to achieve respite besides simply curling up against the uncaring stone.

My heavy armour squeaks in protest as I turn and sit down, watching the creature slowly approach me. It is clearly in distress - most likely a wound on its wings or the surrounding musculature, otherwise I am confident it would not be here at all. Perhaps it will be prepared to converse with me? I would appreciate an opportunity to firm my understanding of the situation I have found myself in. I find myself unprepared to take the dinosaur-fox's words for fact.
My Pokemon Stats