Morphic - Open Thread eyes turned upward.
Vincent the Rookidee (Keen Eye Ability)
Rogue.
Affected RPers: N/A.
Poison Stone attuning, Post 15/15.

Hmmm. Vincent rolls Kai's offer over in his head. The idea of accepting help is tempting, but at the same time, he's not sure he likes the idea of looking so vulnerable in front of a perfect stranger. Then again... Kai seems harmless enough, and she's already seen Vincent floundering around like a newborn baby. So there's not too much harm to be done here - especially when, if Kai gives him trouble or tries to hold this favor over his head, he could easily turn back into his natural body and drive her away.

... Hopefully easily. He hasn't exactly tested that theory.

So he raises one wing, testing the winds, and nods. "I think I'd appreciate that. I'd be able to explore the island much more easily from the air. How do you start? Do you just jump, or is there some trick?"
Kai, Fletchling - Ability: Big Pecks - Affiliation: none

Vincent accepts the flight lesson offer and asks how to take off. Immediately, Kai's mind goes blank. How does she take off?

The Fletchling flutters over to a tree root sticking out of the ground before realizing that she just flew. "Oh," she murmurs under her breath. 

Kai looks over to Vincent. "I think I got it," she chirps.

The bird spreads her wings out and leans her head forwards a bit before hopping off the root and simultaneously flapping her wings in a single, strong downstroke. Once in the air, she flaps a couple of times, then loops around and glides back to Vincent.

"So basically," Kai says upon landing, "you want to flap down as hard as you can to take off first. Leaning forwards isn't necessary but it helps keep balance, and I'd definitely recommend hopping, too." 

Kai pauses, then quickly adds, "How much practice have you had with wing-flapping? You might want to work on that before trying anything serious in the air. Once you're flying, it takes a bit of experience to turn and stop."
Rogue.
Poison Stone, Attuned.

Does... does Kai actually not know how she flies? Vincent supposes it makes a little sense - if someone were to ask him how he runs or exudes venom, he would certainly have to take a moment to consider the question.

Vincent watches Kai's movements carefully. His newly-improved eyesight allows him to take in all sorts of detail - the movements of muscle, the positioning of feathers on Kai's wings, the way she leans forward, the subtle shifts in the positioning of her talons followed by the way they pull tightly to the body - and he nods when Kai returns.

"None at all," Vincent confesses at Kai's question. "However, these wings still feel plenty strong already. I think that trying a takeoff, and then gliding a little bit, will help me get a feel for things." He doesn't mention how completely alien this body feels - the barely-mobile tail, the spanning wings, the bipedal stance that's been forced upon him. He'll adjust in time.

He then hops onto a small stone, hoping the height will lend him some aid. He spreads his wings and, as Kai suggested, he leans forward, balancing on the minuscule pads of the tiny talons that pass for feet. Lining up a straight path without any foliage to snag him or trees for him to crash into, he brings his wings down and his feet up, a flapping leap that sends him forward.

As he predicted, his wings keep him aloft when he holds them out, but he can feel himself losing altitude almost immediately. He brings his wings down once, twice, three times, working himself into the rhythm of the downstrokes' exertion. He's not rising far, but he's gaining distance - but he doesn't want to go too far. With a tree coming up, he tucks his wings in, extending his feet to land on the grass -

The sudden altitude loss is far too much. He hits the ground hard - not hard enough to injure himself, but hard enough to jostle his every limb.

"I... think I may need to work on landing."

Kai watches as Vincent takes off, his wings - though unfamiliar - still able to keep him aloft. She wants to fly alongside him but decides it would be better for the other bird if she stays grounded, at least, this time. The Fletchling watches as Vincent gets used to the flapping pattern, but he's flying much closer to the earth than he should be. A tree approaches and the bird attempts to land. He pulls his wings in but too early Kai's mind yells... 

Vincent hits the ground hard and Kai winces. "I... think I may need to work on my landing," the crimson bird says, and Kai flaps towards him. 

"It was better than my first attempt," Kai reassures wryly. She could clearly remember skidding into a thorn bush, whether or not that memory was real. 

She looks over Vincent and says, "You shouldn't pull your wings in until you've touched the ground. If you hold them out, it'll slow you down. The best tip I have for landing is that your speed should never be faster than a Slowpoke's walk while your feet are out. Hover above the area you're landing at if you need to, but going fast isn't good." Even bigger birds like Talonflame slowed down before landing. They swooped upwards into a climb right before touchdown, therefore reducing the impact of landing.
Rogue.
Poison Stone, Attuned.

Kai's response quietly confuses Vincent. He's still so used to thinking of this bird as, well, a bird, that the idea of her struggling with flight confuses him. But, he supposes, he's hardly passed a moment on this island that he hasn't been confused. 

He tests his wings and legs as Kai speaks. He's a little sore, but he's been hurt much worse. He knows what muscle strains, broken bones, and sprained joints all feel like, and this is none of those. The brunt of the injury is borne by his pride.

"A Slowpoke's walk," Vincent echoes sourly. "I concede your point, but I'm not precisely fond of the idea of slowing. Scolipede are creatures of speed - and that's still where my mind is, even if I'm presently covered in feathers."

He looks back out to the great tree, which looks so much clearer now through these avian eyes. "I have the feel of the thing, now. I fancy that I might put it to the test, and see whether or not I've misjudged the limits of this body's endurance." He nods toward the great tree. "I'm going to see how much terrain I can span, see if I can perhaps reach that monarch of the forest. If you are interested, I wouldn't mind company."

Vincent doesn't seem too impressed with Kai's advice, claiming that Scolipede were creatures of speed. Kai thinks about that, still getting used to the idea of shapeshifting... which apparently was fairly normal on Mautte. She also scours her mind for any memories of fast Scolipede. From what she remembers, they weren't very fast at all. Or... maybe that was because the only one she'd ever met had been half asleep? It was an odd thought, though. Usually larger pokemon were slower.

Kai's crimson companion decides that he wants to test his endurance and the slightly larger robin would rather not, thinking that she would know better than the just-turned-bird, but doesn't argue. "I'll come with you," she says instead. "You're not the only one who wants to see that oversized tree for yourself." 

She hops onto a nearby rock to prepare herself for lift-off before cautiously adding, "And if you really want to go fast, you can pull yourself up into a steep climb just before you hit the ground. It should cancel out the speed without feeling like you're actually slowing. The bigger birds do it all the time and it's a bit tricky when your wings are tiny, but I think you should be able to pull it off."