The Fardreamer's waking memories
The scoundrel had leapt from the window, leaving the chaos in the ballroom behind. I used my paw spikes to speed the climb up the stone wall as I pursued him. Within moments I crouched on the windowsill, spotting him astride a Mudbray and galloping away at something less than full tilt.

I grinned. Putting two blue fingers up to my lips, I whistled a series of loud notes. From around a corner my Rapidash cantered into position beneath the window. I jumped carefully and used a touch of Aura to steer myself onto Rapidash’s back.

We wheeled around together, aiming for the castle gates that the foe had nearly reached, and launched into a gallop. If he made it to the forest he’d be impossible to track, but I’d worked with Rapidash for a long time. Her strides ate up the distance between us and the other rider, and it looked like we’d catch up to him just outside the gates.
Staff, head grader, chief judge, ranger. My stats (always a work in progress!)
Park: Evan Morphic: Aaren Cassandra
[-] The following 1 user Likes evanfardreamer's post:
  • luckgandor
Lucario looked up as the church Bronzong tolled out six peals. The deep, rich tones echoed off the stonework of the keep’s corner, calling the peasants home from the field. Only two hours were left before his duel was to occur, and he wasn’t sure what tricks the shifty old Zoroark would bring to bear.

Around the corner of the church, a figure in flowing white appeared. Her green locks framed delicate features, and she stopped when she saw that he’d spotted her.

Lucario strode swiftly to stand before her. “Milady, you should not be outside the citadel. Ferrolo’s agents are everywhere, and they would not hesitate to strike such an unprotected target.”

She smiled at him, then, sending his heart soaring. “Unprotected? When I am nearby you, I am hardly without a defender. Besides, it wouldn’t do to have a servant fetch you to the castle now, of all times.”

He was gratified, but surprised. “You came out here to find me? You know I would have been there in moments had you called.”

Gardevoir turned her head, gazing at him with one eye and reaching beneath her flowing robe. From within it, she drew forth a small bracelet of interlinked rings. “It also wouldn’t do to be seen presenting this to you. My hus-, our king, would take great affront knowing the favors I bestowed on our champion.”
  • After
When an invasion of Bug-type Pokemon threaten the kingdom’s food supplies, Sir Lucario vows to defeat the threat. But his promise is challenged when the warlord Genesect reveals the price of victory is the life of his beloved.

When a plague of Bug-type Pokemon threaten the kingdom’s existence, Sir Lucario takes the fight to the enemy. But when he discovers they are a ploy of the tyrannical King Dedenne, he must choose between fighting for his kingdom – and fighting against his king.

On the eve of his final tournament, Sir Lucario seeks a way to ensure his victory. But when his weakness is exposed by his squire Mienfoo, he must fight for even his very survival.

When acts of violence, murder, and sabotage break out across the kingdom, Sir Lucario seeks a return to safety. But can he stop the mastermind Ferrolo the Zoroark before his genocidal ritual of immortality?
  • After
The pyramid was at least four stories tall, its angled sides the polished black glass of formed obsidian. Stylized figures were carved into the surface and they leaped and cavorted through terrible acts of mayhem and violence. The only common point was they were all quadrupeds, with a pair of curved horns and a tail ending in a spike.

Even more ridiculous was the moat. Somehow they were actually maintaining a ring of lava around the base of the temple, too far to leap and too hot to approach. The only safe way into it was a wide stone bridge to the front of the temple, with an ominous dark mouth allowing entrance further in.

Assuming one could get past the soldiers. Ranks of them marched to and fro, hither and yon, a constant swarm of movement surrounding it and preventing anything short of a massive assault. Even with his type advantage over the Dark-type soldiers, he didn’t want to try taking on more than a few at a time.

But somewhere in that temple was his wife, along with the monster who’d snatched her away. And it was high time to make him pay.

~~from “Lucario Jones and the Temple of Houndoom”
And then at long last he launched from his perch, wide wings stretching out and blocking the sun. The icy winds seemed to double in strength, tearing at our clothes as they reached a screaming fever pitch. The Articuno made a few lazy flaps with its wings, climbing higher towards the peak.

I still don’t know whether it caused the avalanche, or even if it knew one was occurring, but the roaring wall of snow came on just the same. I leapt into flight, wrapping my talons around Petra’s shoulders and drawing a cry of pain. I had no time to be gentle with the extra weight, trying to fly both above and ahead of the frigid torrent that buried our campsite and remaining companions.

Sestos would be fine, being ice-type himself, but at the time I thought the rest of our expedition was killed on that frozen mountainside. I furiously blinked away tears – the last thing I needed was a frozen eyeball.
“Two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one towards Viridian, and that has made all the difference.”

What does Ash spend all his money on? Thinking about the economy of the Pokemon league, the maintenance of arenas isn’t free; nor is their construction and promotion. This implies that the events hosted in those arenas are funded, whether by government grants (unlikely) or by spectator fees and advertising. (We’ve all seen the colorful banners in the anime that are abstracted advertisements, scattered around.)

While there’s certainly a drive in Trainers to prove themselves the best at something, it stands to reason that doing so in an official League implies prizes and specifically prize money. Otherwise they could simply go stand in the woods, or a field, or congregate around a known battling hotspot.

Most of the leagues, Ash has wound up placing fairly high, though not winning. His prize winnings wouldn’t be enormous, and admittedly the economy in a cartoon isn’t a high consideration, but would we see the same drive with sponsorships and ad dollars? Would there still be either apparel, merchandise, or ‘performance supplement’ money sloshing around?

To that end – it’s an amusing thought, but say Red Cards for an example. What authority makes them work? Are all of them created by one company, or just all held to a minimum standard? Would the trainer using the Silph Co. Red Card be featured in their advertisements to entice other battlers that their offering is better? Would some actually work better than others?
  • After
Wrote this for Park and then realized i had the wrong time of day.

The path seemed to stretch on forever as the young trainer plodded forward. He focused on placing one tan sneaker in front of the other, occasionally brushing tousled blonde hair out of his blue eyes. He was still trying to blink sleep out of those, to boot, and he turned a large yawn into a mild grumble about how early it was.

His Pokemon were still in their Pokeballs; they were probably getting the sleep he’d denied to himself. He was sure his Dragonite appreciated it – she slept in even later than Evan did – but he had the sneaking suspicion that his Aggron pal was a morning being just to spite him.

Despite the early departure time Evan hadn’t cut corners, and so his knapsack was snug on his back. His light green windbreaker was unzipped over a bright yellow “R” shirt he’d gotten his last year in the Junior Rockets. The thigh pockets of his khaki cargo pants were filled but not bulging, and beside the Pokeballs on his belt rode a small sheath knife and a full canteen.

If he was going to keep visiting the park, he had better invest in a proper hiking staff, though. The gravel path underfoot seemed old, some shifting patches seemingly deeper than the rest.
  • After
The brown wrapped parcel in my hands seems to have been all over the world, with postage stamps in Kalos, Sinnoh, Unova, and even Galar. The wrapping was worn and mildly stained from the dozens of hands it had passed through. Taped to the front was a smaller envelope the size of a card and bore my name and address, with a small line "Open me first".
I did so, and found a postcard of the Lumiose tower. On the back was a short, handwritten note.
"I hope this parcel finds you well, though we have never met and likely never will. I was entrusted with a notebook by an old friend, who said if he did not call me in a week to send this to you in a roundabout fashion. It seems to be his notes on a case."
"In any case, good luck, and I hope he's okay- while strange he has done more good than we realize." It's unsigned, and nothing further is written on it.
Thankfully, packing for the trip was a simple affair. The price of the ticket included laundry service and meals, so I only needed a few changes of clothes and some extra potions and Pokeballs.

I looked around my apartment as I was leaving, realizing for the first time how little I had done to make the place my own. A couple of movie posters, my Johto League certificate, and a picture of my parents back home in Violet City were the only things on the walls. The furniture had come with the lease and would stay when I moved out. The only difference when I eventually moved out would be a couple more boxes of clothes and jackets.

I didn’t want to think about the implications of that at the moment, but a few flashed through my head anyway as I locked up and headed for the docks. If I did vanish, how many people would notice? My parents, sure. The Rockets in jail who wouldn’t get their chance at revenge. Maybe a couple of the rangers at the National Park safari, but then again maybe not with all the people they saw in a week.

With effort I pushed those thoughts away. They wouldn’t help me on the ship, and I could worry about getting involved in life outside of Pokemon later.

The city was slowly waking up, stores and cafes just starting to open as I walked towards the sound of Wingulls and ship horns.
  • After
On a beach under the waning moon, a wooden boat was pushed out of the lapping waves. Two people in dark clothing leapt from the benches and onto the wet sand. Behind the boat, a large five-pointed Staryu struggled out of the water to stand beside one of the figures.

The taller figure turned to the other one. “We’ve got maybe twenty minutes to grab what we can. Any longer and the rangers might spot us.”

The shorter one nodded, turning and marching directly inland towards a clump of trees. Halfway there, he drew a pair of spheres from his pocket and released two other Pokemon. One was a Parasect, with flimsy insectoid legs beneath a giant mushroom; the other was an Ivysaur, a quadruped with a flowering bulb sprouting from its back.

“Okay you two,” the shorter man whispered. “Let’s send some spores into that thicket, I can see sleeping Pokemon from here. We’ll catch whatever we can and get out of here.”
  • After