Morphic - Finished Thread elevate
Gawain the Type:Null (Battle Armor Ability).
Knights of Avalon (Castellan).
Affected RPers: N/A.

Oversized claws grip and even dig into hard earth and ice with ease. Chitinous paws repel the sting of jagged stones, repulsing everything from pebbles to sword-sharp rock. Stiff, bulky armor insulates the body beneath from the chill winds that threaten to swallow up the pink-and-white form doggedly pushing through them. As his breath warms the helmet encasing his front, Gawain thinks that he might have found a decent use for this form at last.

The recent earthquakes have left the first Castellan of Mautte a little shaken. He’s never experienced this phenomenon before, the trembling and cracking of the earth below his paws. He’s decided to go on a journey, seeking cause or consequence from the quakes, if such things exist.

However, at the moment, all Gawain can see is black stone and white snow. The ledge he's on is wide, and being lower down on the mountain, there isn't much snow on it. It's as good a place to rest as any. Gawain lays down to catch his breath, his forelegs tucked beneath his chest, the thin membrane of his tailfin lifted above the stone so that the cold doesn't leach into it.
She's tried to fly up here once, when it was snowing. She'd hoped that fiery tail and hot blood would keep her warm, but pretty soon, the ice had started to cake onto her wings and stiffen them. This time, even though the weather is clear, she takes no such risks--she'd hate to go plummeting down a mountainside with icicle wings.

Pale fur blends easily into patches of white snow, sticking out only when she passed in front of slate gray stone. She figured that from up here, she'd get a good view to be able to see if the recent quakes had affected the overall landscape in any major way she should know about. In the time that she'd been here, she'd slowly started to familiarize herself with the vast island. Its array of biomes was incredible, creating what she figured could be a suitable home for anyone, somewhere.

She spots a familiar figure--quadraped body, abnormal helmet. Io heads toward Gawain, watching as he settles down to rest on a ledge clear of snow. He seems cold. "Gawain," she greets, voice echoing up to him. The Absol, once she reaches him, she turns to rest beside him, settling herself down so that white fur presses against his side, offering him warmth. "Would be a shame to come this far to be taken by the cold." A friendly smile brandishes across dark features.
[Image: EkyjQEf.png]
table by k'sariya | space stock by funerium / resurgere
Affected RPers: K'sariya (Io).

He hears her before he sees her. Io's Absol form is camouflaged nearly perfectly on the snow and stone of the Summits; when he hears her voice and turns, the only thing he sees for a moment is her single bright eye.

Warmth floods his side as Io's flank presses against his. He chuckles at her words, the sound rattling through his helmet in a deep rumble. He presses back against her, though he's careful not to poke her with the outcroppings of his helmet or the barbs on his carapaced legs. This form isn't made for physical contact, unfortunately. 

"I've learned my lesson," he says, a little bit of mirth in the voice that echoes within the golden cage around his head. "This form takes much better to cold than it does to heat."

His head doesn't move, but his eyes sweep over the mountain view. He can't put into words why he came to this mountain, but now that he's here, he knows that there's something mystic in this place. Something drawing him on, something familiar and almost... comforting. "Do you sense something here, too?"
Though her fur well-insulated her from the elements already, the additional warmth is nice as they share their body heat. A smile crosses her features as they look out over the view. It's incredible, truly. She's glad to hear that this... soul that has taken him is at least more resilient against the heat than the cold. She wonders, idly, what lies beneath that mask, wonders what this form has to hide. She closes her single eye. Can't be worse than what I have beneath mine.

The Calamity Pokemon nods as he says it. "Yes. Here, and..." She stops to reach for the feeling in her mind. "And the Stepping Stones. They feel similar." There's something comforting about it. Perhaps it's the height, the way great mountain rise into the sky and drift above the earth. Maybe there is something in the sky destined for them, waiting for them, calling to them. Or maybe that's just an idle hope of wanting some sort of purpose, fulfilling itself in both of their wildest dreams.

Io's grounded to reality, though, by the warm press of Gawain next to her. She sighs, lowering her head, leaning into him as he had to her. "I wonder sometimes why we're here." She doesn't say it sadly, but more of... curiously. She was certain that their goal was to carry souls here, but now that they were here... what did they do?

“The Stepping Stones, eh?” Gawain muses. “I’ll have to take your word for it. I haven’t been there since our meeting with Miki, and, well, I’m no acrobat. Perhaps I’ll return if I ever gain wings to catch myself on.”

Like a gut feeling, Gawain knows that the Stepping Stones are not the cause of this familiarity. When he was there, he certainly wasn’t thinking about grand mysteries, or mystic energies, or - 

The sudden surge of electricity is a familiar feeling to Gawain, and it’s one that hits him now. For once, he’s glad that the mask around his face hides his expression. The chime that rings in his mind’s eye is that of steel. Of the protection and sheen of polished metal. Of an unwavering, solid, unmovable firmness.

Of Io, horned and proud and shrouded in armor.

He takes a moment to find his tongue again. “I don’t know,” he says, and there’s sorrow in the admission. “When I first arrived, I was sad. I missed a home I didn’t even remember. But now...

“In my ponderings, I seek truths about the world. I try to make sense of ethics. Of philosophy. Of the things we owe to each other and to ourselves. And yet, at the end of the day, I think that maybe truth is unchanging, but meaning is something we define for ourselves. In this moment, I don’t know why I’m here, but...” he shrugs, enjoying the feel of her touch. “I can finally say that I’m glad I am.”
Io turns solitary eye toward Gawain as he speaks. The knight is a good friend, though through their time together she'd observed that he could sometimes be a little... closed off. Blue orb twitches slightly in a thoughtful, considerate narrow, both in reaction to his words and to her own thoughts. That mask of his was probably hiding it now, but Gawain always had something... beneath, something that she could never quite place. A self-assurance, perhaps? As if he always had some place, higher up, that he was still striving to belong in. Perhaps she imagined it, or perhaps it was just her. Io was someone who did too much watching--silent sentinel, golem of stone and steel, poised always to protect with a watchful eye, one with too much time to think. It was easy to overthink.

He speaks. Eye turns away from the steel mask and back out over the land. A breeze whisks up the mountain, ruffling her fur.Io thinks about her scars, of the ugly gashes torn across her eye. Io thinks about the sharpness of her claws, of the chips and marks that frayed them. Somewhere, the impression of a memory seeps forward through the fog, of fear and adrenaline and of metal gouging metal. Meaning is something we define for ourselves. She feels comforted by the thought.

Eye turns back, rests on him for a moment. Then, she blinks once, puling her from her reverie, and smiles. "You always have good advice,"[b] she says. Io looks away as she hauls herself up to her paws. [b]"I'm glad." It was good to see a friend happy, amidst all of the uncertainty and confusion that often lurked within them.

"I came to see if the earthquakes did anything. Seems they did not." She lightly shakes off dirt from the stone. "I want to see if the Stones feel different. The... magnetism there. It's special for me." It felt like the steel within her bones sang there, in a way that it didn't here. "You're free to come along." She spares him another smile as she steps away, back in that direction.

[ exit Io ? ]

At Io's compliment, a warmth blossoms within him that has nothing to do with... well, everything to do with Io, but little to do with the contact between them. He feels foolish, silly as he looks down at the talons holding him up. Surely, he must be imagining things now. He's happy to help a friend. That's all.

"I'm not sure I agree." He turns his front toward the mountain behind him, although his flank stays pressed against Io. Neither of them have particularly long fur, except around their necks, and the cold wind is much worse without the heat they share. "I have never ventured up so high, but... I feel something in the lands now. Something new. On this mountaintop, on the plains, everywhere I've been... a hum of potential." He speaks almost as much to himself as to Io, just trying to gather together his thoughts and impressions.

"The Stones? The floating islands, do you mean?" The chill on his side feels sharper than ever as Io separates from him. "Sure, I'll come. Perhaps we'll find something a bit more interesting than snow."

[Exit Gawain.]