ILEX (Capture)
I deleted my previous submission for Metapod (titled “Dreams of Imago”) since I think it was too low effort.

Here's my new submission for capture:

[Image: BmSfdZy.png]

“ILEX”

Capture. Metapod. Simple. Concise or extensive, do what you wanna.
Signed it as Morru on the lower left.
Done on GIMP 2.10.8 with mouse. And tons of patience. Special thanks to smooth stroke and the Eraser tool.
Style inspired by the wonderful Koolaid-Girl. Check them out.
[Image: Ofl2uek.png][Image: Gr0Pb2r.png][Image: Ofl2uek.png]
I'll be there to come and shake you
When your will dissolves
Elrond - Today at 1:43 PM
stop it morru we all know ur fursona is a Houndoom crossed with a thestral

evanfardreamerToday at 6:27 AM
Endearing non sequiturs, snappy dresser, near-encyclopedic knowledge of contests
[-] The following 3 users Like Mako's post:
  • Fierce Deity, Gun6, Surfer Liam
Great, looks awesome :)
[-] The following 1 user Likes burcek's post:
  • Mako
Claiming this majestic masterpiece

edit: nvm, I'm not a curator
-URPG-
[-] The following 1 user Likes EmBreon's post:
  • Mako
Claim!
----------
JudgeCurator ♦ Arbiter
(11-24-19, 07:12 AM)Fenris Wrote: Claim!

I apologize that I kept Leader Bugsy waiting so long; his Gym must have a back log of challengers for months waiting for him to get out of Art Queue purgatory to accept challengers.  ffpu

Form: INTERMEDIATE
  • All the Pokemon (Metapod, shiny Caterpie, and Butterfree) and Gym Leader Bugsy are identifiable and in interesting or altered poses. Only one of them is showing much overt action or movement (Caterpie), though one of Butterfree's wings seems to be bending. Since the other wings aren't similarly moving it doesn't quite come across as the Pokemon flapping, but it's a good indicator of what you meant to get across.
Technique: ADVANCED
  • You have a very clear style and intent that you wanted to portray using that style. you very clearly knew how to use your limited tools to best effect to exact your style, and there is clear dedication in the precision of the lines (line variance with just a mouse is very tricky to pull off without an enormous time-sink), and in their exact placement (the patterning of your highlights and shading would like-wise take a large amount of both fore-thought and time to execute as well as you have done so here).
Value: ADVANCED
  • You do a lot here through your use of technique and two-toned shading, with pops of color to introduce highlights. not only is the shading fairly accurate across the board, the way you've added it in (through use of short, choppy strokes and dots), gives the feeling of sunlight filtering down through tree leaves. given the title and tiling background, it really ties everything together to give the idea that Bugsy and his crew are somewhere out in Ilex forest, looking to catch another friend for the team.
Narrative: INTERMEDIATE
  • You introduce narrative in this work through a combination of ways, and they culminate in a simplistic but clear narrative. The name of the work, and the tiling background of the Ilex Forest shrine and trees suggests to us a location (that of Ilex Forest), even without you explicitly drawing a fully rendered background. to further this suggestion and to plant the characters more squarely in this setting, the Technique you used to shade and highlight everything is indicative of sunlight dappling through a canopy, which is a marvelous use of subtle storytelling. The bug net to Bugsy's left seems out of place at first, but given who is pictured and the supposed location it can be assumed Bugsy is out trying to catch a new team member. A simple, but easy to understand story told through uncomplicated means.
Scene: BASIC
  • While we can imply a location based on the objects included in the pattern of the background and the title of the work, we don't really have a solid physical location to settled the subjects into. visually they are floating in a void of green with some images floating behind them, and while those images are relevant enough for us to guess what's happening and where, it's not doing much else or anything terribly complicated. outside of the shrine and trees being relevant to suggesting a forest setting, they seem to be around mostly to fill space.
Color: INTERMEDIATE
  • The colors are all very bright, 'candy' colors, but this was done intentionally to make an interesting work that pops visually against the dramatic shading-style you chose, and to emphasize the characters against the repeating backdrop. Everything in the work is colored in a way that is interesting and that compliments the Form and the overall tone. Despite using bright colors, you've made sure to cross-color (using the same color multiple places in the work) to provide a sense of unity; Bugsy's color scheme is shared across his Pokemon to an extent, helping unify the work.
Done Well:
  • An excellent use of style to push both value and narrative in innovative and visually interesting ways; this art looks absolutely bomb and I keep catching myself staring at it instead of writing this curation, oof.
  • Ambitious; you stated that you only had access to a mouse when making this, and despite what many people would find to be a very difficult limitation to overcome, you made an incredibly vibrant and detailed work of art in spite of the limited set of tools available to you.
  • This art work is very focused in it's scope; you had a clear style you set out to attain and display, and you did so with aplomb. It's got a strong aesthetic and sense of purpose, and I believe you nailed it wonderfully.
  • TEXTURE!!! The style you chose to use to do your shading in really gives a strong sense of texture and makes the artwork seem tactile even though it's digital and can't physically be touched.
Suggestions:
  • Having spent so much time on the image to get the look it has, spending slightly more time to clean up the line-art in some areas (such as the line spurs around the image where several strokes meet, like Butterfree's on wings or Bugsy's hair) would be a relatively small thing to do. As is they aren't overly detractful, but cleaning and smoothing them out would only help the bubbly aesthetic you have going.
  •  A slightly more unified color pallet; you use similar colors to help tie the work together, but more directly cross-coloring might help further this. making Bugsy's ascot the same yellow as Caterpie for example, would help tie it a little more closely into the scene from a color perspective. 
  • A more involved background than the tiling one you have now could more directly place Bugsy and his team in the setting and help with the simple narrative you have going; a simple forest scene could work nicely, especially if you work in the shrine the way you do now to get across the point of where the exact location is. it would also give you more room to play with in terms of adding superfluous details to help sell the scene - Pokemon hiding in the trees, ducking behind clumps of grass, etc. If he's going bug hunting there's probably some bugs hiding in the area he's interested in then, right? 
  • More dynamic posing, especially from Bugsy. What you have works to sell us the idea that they are all determined and ready to go, but it's only context that really tells us what they may be doing (presumably bug catching). perhaps move Bugsy so he has his arm out-stretched and open his mouth - if it looks like he's giving his Pokemon a command, it gives more context for why all three seem to be leaping into the air towards the right like they're getting ready to dog-pile something. 
Conclusion: This work passes at Hard! You may claim Metapod + $17,500!
----------
JudgeCurator ♦ Arbiter
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fenris's post:
  • Mako
Thanks for the insightful curation @Fenris !

Claiming my Metapod and $17,500 :D
[Image: Ofl2uek.png][Image: Gr0Pb2r.png][Image: Ofl2uek.png]
I'll be there to come and shake you
When your will dissolves
Elrond - Today at 1:43 PM
stop it morru we all know ur fursona is a Houndoom crossed with a thestral

evanfardreamerToday at 6:27 AM
Endearing non sequiturs, snappy dresser, near-encyclopedic knowledge of contests