Morphic - Open Thread Tossed Ashore
[Riolu/Steadfast]

Bright sunlight. That was the first thing that greeted Seiro's eyes. His ears were then presented with waves crashing against the beach.

"Where...am I?" he asks, climbing to his feet, when he notices something is off. He didn't have a tail or fur before, did he? ...did he? What even was he before becoming this? "...what am I? I...think I'm a Riolu, but...how? How do I know that? And...what was I before this? Ugh...I can't remember any of it..."

Reaching down with a hand-paw to dust some sand off his tail, he tentatively steps forward, his Riolu body's new sense of balance not entirely compatible with the mind of, well, whatever he used to be. He shakes and stumbles a bit, but manages to slowly tiptoe forward, away from the sand. "Is anybody there?" he softly, yet forcefully calls out across the wide swathe of black sand.
[ Super Luck ]

Another day, another figure on the beach, one that she spots in passing from the top of the cliff. This one is a cyan blue with a charcoal mask. The Calamity Pokemon pauses as she sees it, gazes down at it with mild curiosity. Then, she begins to pick her way down the precarious path carved out of the cliffside until black paws meet obsidian sand.

The voice echoes out, questioningly, and the one-eyed Absol watches the Riolu find their balance. She remembers being similarly unsteady, when the steel titan had bene thrown disorientingly upon the beach in the wake of the storm. "Here," she calls back in her deep tones, claws sinking into the sand as she approaches. The heavily-scarred Pokemon pauses several yards away, bladed head tilted slightly as she examines him with her one good eye, curious. Why has the island saved you? she wonders.

"Welcome," comes the greeting, calm and unwavering, but doesn't say anything else, giving the newcomer time to gather his bearings.
[Image: EkyjQEf.png]
table by k'sariya | space stock by funerium / resurgere
[Riolu/Steadfast]

Seiro looks over the large, ivory Pokémon before him. Absol were Dark-type, the type of pragmatism and underhandedness, yet Seiro felt none of those, instead feeling almost at ease with the Absol's presence. He just couldn't put his finger on why.

He resumes his slow, shaky walk, this time directing it toward the Absol. "Who are you?" he softly questions, trying to use his new tail to help balance. "And what is this place? ...Why can I not remember anything?" His head droops at that last sentence, the dark grey skin of his aura sensors reflecting the sun's light.

A lot of questions, to be sure, but after washing up in an unfamiliar place with no memory, curiosity seems to be only natural. He sits down in the sand, careful not to squish his tail, expecting this exchange to be a long one.
[ Super Luck ]

The questions come in a cascade, as she's learned that they often do. Arriving here came with many questions, some of which beyond the first few may never be answered. She watches as he lowers himself to the ground to sit--good, he would need to be sitting for most of these answers. Things got overwhelming, fast.

"I am Io," she introduces gently, lowering her own haunches to the dark earth. Half-spaded tail slides into the sand. "And this--" she says, gesturing with a sweeping nod of her head, "--is what we call Mautte." A pause, as she lets it sink in. "Your memory... Mautte takes it, in exchange for your safety. Those who are brought here have been saved." The sunlight catches on the greying pink of her scars, some fresher than most, but none too recent. Furrows of raised flesh gouge down her left eye, hollowing out the dark and empty socket left behind. Bright blue right eye rests softly upon the newcomer. "You've been given the chance to start anew." They all made sense of the island's mystery in their own ways. For Io, this was one of them. It was better to believe that they were brought here for a reason, lifted away from the world that gave her these scars. One would go mad riddling over the life that was lost, always hovering somewhere within but always just barely out of reach.
[Image: EkyjQEf.png]
[Riolu/Steadfast]

"The island...well, Mautte...t-takes my memory?" Seiro utters, eyes widening with both shock and fear. "But... Is there anything I can really do about it?" He stopped, realizing his question was already answered: there isn't. Or there doesn't seem to be. "Well, what if I made it my goal to figure out my past?" he declares, his tail pointing up as the bony nubs on his wrists softly glow a brilliant blue. "I don't even know who I was before all this...but I feel like that's something they'd be proud of."

"But that can come later. What's more important now is the island itself," Seiro says, his tail drooping and the glow fading as he returns himself to the conversation at hand. "Is there anything else I should know about this place?"
He has spirit; that's good, he'll need that spirit to make it through the trials that Mautte will give him on the way to acceptance. Io appreciates his passion, even as it burns a soft blue at his wrists. The Absol's one good eye turns to the cerulean glow, noting it with interest but not condecension as she responds.

"No one will stop you from trying," she reassures, and then cautions: "But Mautte will always open more questions than it will ever answer." The time that they spent poring over what was lost would only delay their growth here on the island. She's not completely free from it; even she still dwells on whatever monstrosity she'd once been, on what has honed her to react with violence to being startled, to lash out. Io will never know that the cruelty was never hers, but she has already accepted it as her burden anyway. Forgive and forget, and move on.

Is there anything I should know about this place? The response is instant: "Yes." Io's already of the mind to prepare newcomers for what they will otherwise later find out on their own. She remembers the fear and confusion of being one of the first to find out, of falling from the floating Stepping Stones, heavy body plummeting to certain death, when...

Reliving the memories causes her body to twist and contort. Her back legs thicken, the fur shrinking back into leathery flesh, midriff elongating, paws retracting into clawed feet and hands, features lengthening, spaded tail bursting into a larger, sweeping one. A blue flame, not dissimilar from the Riolu's own bright aura, bursts to life at the end of the tail, and within moment, a hulking Charizard, black skin splotched with snowy patches, stands before the stranger.

"When Mautte has accepted us, we carry the lives of others who did not make it to Mautte in our palms," she explains, quietly, carefully watching the other creature with one eye. Her body has retained her scars; they mar her form, more visible on the smoother skin, irregular bumps and furrows on the leathery flesh. "It is likely that you will have other shapes, too, at some time."

[ Blaze ]
[Image: Sirw8zO.png]
[Riolu/Steadfast]

The Riolu looks up at the giant, vaguely draconic figure the Absol had shifted into, eyes wide with surprise. His tail was completely straight, his arms stiff, and his hand-paws digging into the sand. "You...what...how did..." he stammers out, at a loss for words after that transformation.

He then takes a couple deep breaths to calm himself, his eyes returning to a more natural size as his posture relaxes. "So what you're saying is that...we can turn into other Pokémon?" He still has questions about how exactly this happens, but like Io had said, Mautte definitely creates more questions than answers. He could figure out the shapeshifting nature of this island's denizens later; for now, the higher-priority question was his identity.
He's shocked, as one would expect, but the sooner that he finds out, the sooner he can sort through the knowledge and what it means. The Charizard looks calmly down at the figure, taking in his tense posture, and she lowers her own, stooping her neck and tucking her wings to her back to ensure she looks less imposing. She lets him take his time on processing the information and is careful not to rush his judgement.

"So it seems; the longer one stays, the more likely they are to be chosen to receive the island's gift." She stares briefly down at clawed hands before casting her gaze up toward the precarious path up to the jungle that rests at the cliff's crest. Io settles her eye there for a moment, then draws it back to the Riolu, realizing she gave her name, but never got his. "Your name?"

[ Blaze ]
[Riolu/Steadfast]

Seiro looks up, his two blue eyes locking with Io's one. "I'm Seiro," he answers, his tail lightly waving about and making lines in the sand. Waves continue to crash against the shore, the salty sea breeze gently ruffling the Riolu's fur. An island that lets you shapeshift if you stay on it long enough seems very unlikely, but it's not like he can deny proof of it given before his very eyes. And it doesn't even look that hostile...yet.

"How long have you been on this island, Io?" Seiro asks, directing his attention back to the Charizard before him after his brief wandering thought. "Seems like you've been here a long time, if you know all this about it."
Seiro. Another face, another name that she commits to memory. Nostrils flare as she firmly takes in his scent. Perhaps one day, Seiro's face would change, but the other's scent would always linger. She lets the salty breeze roll over her scales, pulling the warmth of her tail to her haunches as she wraps it calmly about her.

Her calm features twitch a little at the question, brows furrowing for a moment. She hadn't kept track much, honestly. Without realizing it, the days she'd spent here fell off what she could count on her claws, slipping into weeks and weeks, until... "A month, perhaps two. Time has slipped away." To some, it would be a troubling admission, but for her, the passage of time is another thing that is outside of her control, much like her memory, and is something that she is at peace with. "It's what I believe. The first time I... changed, it was like I felt someone else with me. They were scared, too." Lips purse quietly as she ruminates on the memory.

[ Blaze ]